Thursday, April 16, 2015

Creeting St Peter: the candidate doesn't even knock once...

So, nominations have closed for both the District and Parish Council elections and Creeting St Peter will go to the polls on 7 May accordingly. Yes, I know that there is a General Election, and that we'd all have to vote anyway, but the chances of a Parliamentary candidate coming our way is rather less than nil - the Conservatives sent us a leaflet for the wrong constituency in 2010, after all - so the real interest is in people who might have to come here whether they like it or not.

In 2010, the District Council ward - Stowupland - drew four candidates (I was one of them), a Conservative, a Liberal Democrat, a Green and a Labour candidate. This time, we're down to a Conservative and a Green.

The Conservative candidate, Jemma Lynch, hopes to replace the outgoing Conservative, Caroline Byles, of whom I have written so many complimentary things (that may not be entirely accurate...). She describes herself, somewhat evasively, as a single parent from Suffolk (well yes, you do need to have a qualification to run here), although she really cares for our communities. Odd, really, that she should choose to represent one that she has no obvious connection with, despite the fact that the Conservatives are only running one candidate in Needham Market, where she lives. On the other hand, she does live rather closer to the ward than Caroline did (not exactly difficult, admittedly).

According to her Twitter feed;
Well, Tuesday came and went, and no sign of Jemma was there to be seen. I was disappointed, I admit, as, having no dog in this particular race, my vote is rather up for grabs - and yes, I will vote. She has now promised to come back on Saturday, but as I'll be in Needham Market for the big match, we may miss each other again...

The Green candidate is Keith Welham. He does actually live on the patch, indeed, he's a Parish councillor in Stowupland, so he should be reasonably well known. What he stands for is anyone's guess, as the rather poor quality leaflet that came out majored on planning issues - important in Stowupland, certainly, but hardly relevant here in Creeting St Peter. I did try to persuade the Greens to have him pay us a visit, but they don't seem that bothered thus far.

So, whilst I have a vote, it seems that nobody really wants it.

As for the Parish Council, there are three applicants for five places, saving us the cost of an election at least. Steve Ashcroft and Sue Lawson are relative veterans from my time as a Parish councillor, whilst Machala Peecock, who lives two doors away, replaced me when I stood down. That leaves two vacancies. Despite the apparent retirement of the Parish Clerk, I am not tempted... Well, not yet, anyway. I will be curious to see how they are handling the finances though...

So, with about a week until I get my postal ballot, I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do with the District Council one. Will either candidate care enough to try to persuade me?...

No comments: