Wednesday, January 22, 2014

ALDE Party: what do I have in common with thirteen MPs, eleven Peers and twelve MEPs?

The list of voting delegates for the ALDE Election Congress, scheduled to take place in Brussels on Saturday week, is an intriguing one.

Whilst I admit that I've not been involved in the international work of the Party for that long, the list of Liberal Democrat delegates does include an extraordinary number of highly reputable people who I've never seen at an ALDE event previously. Indeed, so prestigious a list is it that, were it not for the fact that I'm an elected member of the ALDE Party Council, I probably wouldn't have made the cut. Indeed, given that I've upset Fiona Hall, who helped to decide upon the final list, I'm almost surprised that I made it anyway.

Admittedly, I may not see all of them in Brussels, as it was decided in Pula last May that online voting would be permitted, so delegates don't even need to show up in Place Flagey for the event itself unless they want to.

I'll be there, with Ros, because we wanted to make a weekend of it - we both rather like Brussels - and with various friends around, it looks likely to be quite a lot of fun. I may even have a little work to do, as scrutineers will be needed to ensure fair play.

No comments: