Thursday, November 08, 2012

Ros in the Lords: Localism Bill - Committee Stage

Here's another of Ros's interventions that I hadn't covered, from 20 June 2011...

When transitioning from one regime to another, it is easy to forget that the legislation you had before might stop you from doing what you want to do now. Ros hadn't forgotten...


Baroness Scott of Needham Market (Liberal Democrat)

My Lords, I want to join this brief exchange because I am developing an increasing sense of Alice in Wonderland. It feels as though we are operating in two worlds: the old world in which local authorities were only allowed to do things that were in statute, and the new world in which they are free to do anything unless they are barred. It is beginning to feel, in the context of this debate and future debates, that there is a real problem about being caught in the middle where local authorities will be stopped from doing a lot of the things that previous legislation allowed them to do. I am sorry, but I find it difficult to express the point, but I am sure that noble Lords are beginning to get a sense of what I mean. The question of how significant the general power really is, if local authorities are continually hampered by previous legislation, will become very important. It is an issue to which we will keep coming back.

No comments: