Saturday, September 15, 2012

Across the border and back for €7...

I just couldn't get into Liege, candidate city for Expo 2017, so I'm back on the train again. Alright, it isn't a particularly glamorous train, a mere year younger than I am, but it does the job.

But despite its age, and its rather firm second class seats, it's a surprisingly cosmopolitan service, as we're on our way to Maastricht (don't tell any Conservatives, the place has a strange effect on them). Interrailers from Canada, students fretting about the courses availlable to them as part of their International Relations degree (and fretting in English too), a woman from Somalia chatting with a friend on her mobile, all this appears perfectly normal.

I've visited the Netherlands on many occasions, but never actually reached Maastricht, and whilst I don't have a lot of time here, probably two hours, it should be long enough to see if I'd want to come back.

No comments: