Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Absolutely committe(e)d to road safety around Stowmarket

In the past, I might have noted the concerns that my fellow parish councillors have traffic speed through our village. So, when the opportunity arose to nominate a member of the Stowmarket and District Road Safety Committee, I had rather expected one of my colleagues to step forward.

Expectation is a funny thing though, so when it became apparent that there wasn't going to be a volunteer, I could see that my future would include the occasional debate about pedestrian crossings or road layouts. And it hasn't been so bad, made easier by the expert chairing of Keith Scarff and the excellent secretariat in the form of my stepdaughter, Sally.

So, when at our AGM there was a silence in the room as it became clear that our serving Vice Chair wasn't present, it was with a degree of caution that I offered my services to replace him - and was duly elected unopposed.

I'm not expecting to add a vast amount to my workload as a result of my elevation, but it acts as another connection between Creeting St Peter and the outside world. And that can only be a good thing, can't it?

No comments: