Monday, February 27, 2012

"A Liberal Roadmap for Energy Transition"

One of the joys of being involved in the European Liberal Democrats (ELDR), is that you discover that there are all sorts of things going on that you might never have known about otherwise.

I had not, for example, realised that Liberal Democrats were collaborating with one of our Dutch sister parties, Democraten 66 (or D'66 as most people refer to them) and Sweden's Centerpartiet on an energy policy for Europe. Partly, this will teach me to read the documents sitting in my pending tray (shorthand for, things that look vaguely interesting and that I ought to read one day).

But now that I am clearing that tray, I find myself faced with a short, quite punchy document, which has become the foundation for ELDR's 2012 theme, energy transition. It isn't the most obviously sexy subject, things that are likely to require years, perhaps decades, of conscious effort are too difficult for a politics of short term strategy and soundbite thinking, but the potential benefits of a trans-European energy grid, for example, are fairly obvious when thought about at all.

So, given that ELDR is discussing the subject, and that we should really encourage input from as wide a range of views within the Party as possible, what do you think? But don't tell me, interested though I might be, tell ELDR. To make it easier for you, they have created a website with a pretty picture of a lake surrounded by verdant forest for you to use.

So go there, say something, make your voice heard...

No comments: