Friday, August 26, 2011

Rhapsody in blue (paint)...

Of course, being half-Indian, I have the advantage of a heritage where a great civilisation was being developed whilst you were all painting yourselves blue and thinking that this was the height of fashion. Don't think that I pity you for it. But really, painting your politicians blue is so... well, yesterday.

Seriously though, whilst I am vaguely sympathetic with the urge to protest, throwing blue paint at Nick Clegg probably won't have the desired effect. Indeed, it's hard to imagine something less likely to achieve anything.

I've seen this sort of thing before, and it screams out one message, "I don't want to listen to you, I don't have an argument, I just hate you.". It is, after all, so much more easier to convince someone of the error of their ways by assaulting them. Best of all, it tends to engender a degree of sympathy amongst those who might not agree with the victim, but acknowledge his right to hold an opinion.

The fact that the attacker was a former, if short-lived, member of the Party who, if the press are to be believed, joined because he was opposed to neo-liberalism is all the more depressing. Liberalism isn't about liberally spending other people's money, it's about providing individuals with the platform to take control over their own lives. But that's a difficult message, so much more complex than "No Shock Doctrine for Britain!".

Liberal Democrats don't actually enjoy cutting things. I for one didn't enter into politics to take things away from people but if you've got to make cuts, better by far to do it thoughtfully rather than repeat the Greek experience.

However, I suspect that the attacker will shortly experience a 'shock doctrine' of his own. The public are in a mood for retribution, and he may well see the inside of a jail cell. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him expelled from the University of Glasgow either, although it would be a high price to pay. You see, just as borrowing to pay for your day to day expenses means that one day the money runs out, there comes a day when you have to take responsibility for your actions.

So, young Mr Rodger, I hope that it was all worth it. Imperilling your career prospects, your education (you haven't borrowed too much money to pay for it, I hope) and your freedom wouldn't be something I'd recommend, but you're a grown-up and you knew what you were doing, didn't you?...

No comments: