Monday, November 01, 2010

Tim Kramer vs Susan Farron - it's all too difficult...

Four o'clock came and went, and I really should have gone to check the final list of nominations. However, I had another of those "Ooh look, it's a bunny rabbit!" moments and was distracted by the need (or otherwise) for a roving microphone for the Presidential hustings. So, I obtained one from the venue staff, manning the lighting and sound systems, and found myself the Chair's aide as a result.

I've remarked in the past that this contest makes for a very difficult choice, and the hustings that followed makes my choice all the more marginal. Yes, I've already voted, but I can't help feeling that the hustings would only have made it less likely that I would vote at all. That isn't because they aren't both very good candidates, because they are. It isn't because I don't beleive that they can do the job of President, although I'll return to that point.

Under a hail of questions from the audience, they responded well, appealing to those who feel that the President is potentially their champion, although there were far too many questions about policy for my liking. Let's get this right, the President's view on policy issues should be a personal one, it should not colour their judgement as to what is good for the Party. Their role is to convey widely held concerns, fears or questions to the Leader and, now, our Ministers in Government, not to act as some maverick, firing ideas off in random directions in a chase for headlines.

They do offer two distinctive visions of the Presidency, I believe. Tim has a more high-profile vision for the Presidency, a vocal reminder to the leadership that the members need to be listened to. Susan's is more of a behind the scenes voice, operating beyond the media spotlight, more consensual. I'm not sure which is more reflective of the Party's needs, indeed, my stance varies from day to day. Given that I've had a unique view of the Presidency for two years now, that is perhaps an indication of the challenge that faces the winner of the contest.

Ironically, it may well prove to be the case that what works best with the Party's leadership is not what members opt for, a recipe for frustration, to say the least. And given that there are very few people who actually understand what the President is for, that is always a risk...

No comments: