Sunday, October 24, 2010

Liberal Youth: the ex-Returning Officer has not left the building...

I did say at one point that it was my intention to run for an honorary Vice-Presidency of Liberal Youth. I was serious, and still am, so here's the manifesto which is currently exercising Liberal Youth members at their Autumn Conference in Manchester...

Dear Friends, Colleagues and Innocent Bystanders,

Firstly, please accept my apologies for not joining you in Manchester this weekend. Unfortunately, I haven’t spent a weekend at home since before Federal Conference, and I miss my home, my cat and my village.

This brief missive is by way of a call for your support in this weekend’s election for a team of Honorary Vice Presidents, and those of you who know me may be wondering why, after surviving three rounds of Liberal Youth elections, I want anything to do with the organisation.

Having served as a national Officer of the Young Liberals and then the Young Liberal Democrats, I understand just how valuable the organisation can be, both as a training arena for the politicians of tomorrow, and as a conduit for radical thinking on issues that matter to young people and lots more.

However, two things that make life more difficult for Liberal Youth are the inevitable lack of an institutional memory and knowledge of how the darker corners of the Party work, which is where the Honorary Officers come in. My record as a Party bureaucrat and my network of contacts would enable me to offer sage advice when needed and support when it matters. And, whilst I am aware of Liberal Youth’s recent history, I am not a part of it.

So, your first preference would be gratefully received...

Yours faithfully,

Mark

We'll know the result later today, I understand, so until then...

No comments: