Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Liberal Youth: musings on the sovereignty of endorsements

One of the things that has always puzzled me about endorsements is the way in which people claim to endorse on behalf of organisations or groups. Yes, if member X decides that they would like to announce their undying support for candidate Y, that's fine, but when members A, B and C announce the support of branch D for candidate E, I find myself wondering what say other members of branch D had in deciding upon such an endorsement.

Last year, I had to caution members of London Liberal Youth for issuing an endorsement in the name of the Regional group when I knew full well that there had not been a process of consultation with members across London, and ruled that branches or Regions could only endorse if it could be demonstrated that consultation had occurred prior to publication of the endorsement.

So, I should take this opportunity to convey a message. I do not approve of individuals using their organisations as means to misrepresent the view of the members, regardless of the circumstances. I have received some complaints already, and I intend to act upon them over the coming days.

If, on the other hand, any branch or Region of Liberal Youth wishes to endorse and has doubts about the legitimacy of doing so, please feel free to ask me via my Liberal Youth e-mail account...

No comments: