Sunday, June 27, 2010

An idyllic weekend in the Gipping Valley

It's late on Sunday evening as I write these words, and it's been a pretty good weekend. Ros and I have spent the weekend expanding into our new building, which is shorthand for 'Ros has organised everything and I've done what I'm told to do'. The sun has shone, the odd glass of wine has been drunk, the barbecue has been cranked into action for the first time this summer, and life looks a lot clearer all of a sudden.

I am, it seems, beginning to get the hang of village life. Paying our annual subscription for 'The Grapevine', our local parish magazine, chatting to the neighbours about the appalling state in which 'Cross Keys Cottage' has been left in, talking to the outgoing Treasurer of the Community Council about transferring responsibility for financial reporting over to the Parish Council, it's the small things that make a village tick. I even found time to tidy the Parish noticeboard.

And it dawns on me just how many of my fellow villagers contribute to those activities. Five Parish Councillors, Violet, our churchwarden, Neighbourhood Watch members, Liz who organises the Bonus Ball for the Community Council, Georgina who delivers 'The Grapevine' and collects subscriptions, all of them contribute in their own way, finding a little time in their day to make a difference.

Ah well, better get on, I suppose, back to the city in the morning...

No comments: