Monday, May 24, 2010

A short diversion from talk of elections and constitutions

I'm on my way home to Creeting St Peter for a Parish Council meeting, where I get to meet up with my Conservative County and District Councillors. What that means is that I won't be doing Liberal Youth stuff for a few hours but, more importantly, I get to return to being a Parish Councillor for a little while.

I know that, by the standards of most politicians, being a Parish Councillor barely counts. However, politics doesn't get any more basic than grass-cutting and planning consultation, and if people don't engage with regard to their own village, they're hardly likely to travel to Needham Market or even Ipswich, to tell their representatives what they think.

And so I value the opportunity to talk about bus stops and grit bins, of fly tipping and damaged fences next to footpaths. But I must dash, the community bus is waiting to take me home...

No comments: