Monday, May 24, 2010

Liberal Youth: there'll always be an England... but not yet...

I had been wondering about my role in connection with the position of English Convenor. And, at 1.47 a.m. this morning, I have come to a conclusion...

As best as I can tell, Liberal Youth England must elect at least a Convenor and a number of members of the Party's English Council. Having not seen a copy of any constitution that Liberal Youth England might have, I can ascertain no more than that. So, if someone can demonstrate that they have any authority in this area, and can provide me with a copy of their constitution, I might be able to help. Therefore, for the time being, there will not be a contest for the position of English Convenor.

Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen...

2 comments:

Richard Gadsden said...

When Chris Blackburn and I wrote the constitution for what was then LDYS (England) it automatically appointed the Federal RO as the RO for LDYS (England).

I do have a copy of the constitution as it stood in 2003 - I hope it got revised for the name change, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Robson said...

It has been revised - I've seen it - but as an organisation does not exist. The FE have taken on all the roles held by LDYS England, as per our constitution. As a defunct state organisation there is no need for a convenor, as they are not representing anyone.

What this does mean is that there is a broken link between the elected regional convenors of England and the LY executive, hopefully being resolved at this Autumn's conference. Until then, the regional convenors will be consulted by the exec and by branches on relevant issues, where we have contacts for them.

(The regions point is another issue as I'm only aware of 6 regions with elected youth officers - D&C, South East, South Central, North West, Yorkshire, and the North East. Leaving 3 missing.)

*sigh*