Sunday, December 13, 2009

On Liberty or, to be more accurate, in Liberty...

Yesterday evening was spent attending a black tie dinner in support of Swansea and Gower Liberal Democrats. Not having had much detail about the event in advance, I was pleasantly surprised that we would be in Swansea City's swish new venue, Liberty Stadium (how appropriate is that for a Liberal Democrat event?).

In the presence of the award-winning Cllr Peter Black AM, and the Audrey Hepburn-like Leader of the Welsh Liberal Democrats, Kirsty Williams, the evening sped along, although my cold was making life a little trying. A bottle of Patagonian Malbec helped a bit though, and winning a bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc will doubtless aid my recovery still further.

However, the fun really started with the auction, and with Peter Black at the microphone. Tea at the Lords raised a decent sum, but the next lot, tea at the Assembly with Peter, seemed not to have the same drawing power. I suspect that most Swansea Liberal Democrats have now had tea with Peter, so I put in a decent enough bid. And won.

So, the next time I'm in the Cardiff area, I can be certain of a nice tea. Of course, Cardiff isn't particularly convenient for mid-Suffolk but...

No comments: