Saturday, December 12, 2009

Men in kilts, starring the Keeper of Stirling Castle

I haven't had a chance to report back on my trip to the Gateway to the Highlands but, as I'm in the midst of a four hour train journey, this seems like a good time.

Two weeks ago, as I wrote, we set off for Perth, en route to the inaugural St Andrew's Day dinner held by Ochil Liberal Democrats. My first question had been, "Where exactly is Ochil?", and the answer is Kinross-shire, Clackmannanshire and South Perthshire, centred on the Ochil Hills. Alright, that still isn't entirely helpful so, it's south of Perth, east of Dunfermline, west of Stirling and north of the River Forth.

Our hosts for the evening were the in-laws of Ochil Convenor Iain Rubie Dale, Ross and Pat Carruthers, who live just south of Perth in an area of fairly outstanding natural beauty. Interestingly, the farm that borders their house keeps wild boar, products of which are sold (note to self, when we go back in March, I have some shopping to do) at their shop and locally.

As someone of Scottish descent (the Valladares tartan is quite something), I've not really explored my Caledonian side, but I have to admit that the sight of men in kilts is somewhat impressive, so I was delighted to see that at least two of the attendees were in full highland dress, including the skean dhu, (small dagger).

One of them was Jamie Erskine, better known as James, Earl of Mar and Kellie or, more formally, 14th Earl of Mar, 16th Earl of Kellie, 16th Viscount Fentoun, 19th Lord Erskine, 16th Lord Erskine of Dirleton and 16th Lord Dirleton. As Viscount Fentoun, he is the premier Viscount of Scotland, and Hereditary Keeper of Stirling Castle. In that role, he welcomes the Queen when she visits Stirling, offering her the keys to the castle on a cushion. He admitted that the keys are attached to the cushion with velcro to prevent mishaps...

The dinner itself was very enjoyable, with good food and excellent company. I found myself between Iain and his wife Catherine, and we talked about their chickens, amongst other things. Sometimes, I think, it is nice not to spend all of one's time being 'political'.

But, all too soon, it was time for us all to retire, with the prospect of nearly eight hours on a train the next day...

No comments: