Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A day out with Il Patrone

I wasn't the only Liberal Democrat in Cairo for the Liberal International Congress, and with a spare day on the Sunday, it seemed obvious to do something touristic. So, what to do in Cairo on a Sunday? Well, there were those funny looking mountains that we could see from the window of our hotel room... And so, we found ourselves in a car heading through the suburbs towards Giza with two other delegates.

Our fellow travellers were Liberal International Patron and former President, the Rt Hon Lord Steel of Aikwood, and his former assistant, Atul Vadher. I find it, in retrospect, remarkable that it is twenty years since he led our Party, as he is still pretty lively.

I am disappointed in just one sense. As 'Il Patrone', I would expect to see him with a fine cigar, mojito in hand, with a silver-tipped cane, panama hat and a dancing girl on his arm. I think that he'd look damned good...

No comments: