Tuesday, September 01, 2009

ASBO update - some research

Jono and Aaron very kindly contributed their shared view that activities likely to attract an ASBO didn't actually have to be illegal, a concept that genuinely troubles me. So I thought that I ought to do some research.

The Law and Parents website has this to say about ASBOs. Now it appears to me that this list, whilst not complete, includes actions which are criminal, and I find it bizarre in the extreme that an administration so keen to pursue the 'War on Drugs' is, at the same time, saying to people that dealing in drugs may attract an ASBO. A mixed message, certainly.

I would, however, be interested to find out the circumstances whereby an individual is engaged in an activity which is not covered by criminal law might attract an ASBO. Any answers, ladies and gentlemen?

No comments: