Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beyond the reach of the LGA...

I had vaguely assumed that Parish Councils fell within the auspices of the Local Government Association. A fine body of men and women, I've attended a couple of events in my capacity as Presidential consort and been, I have to admit, pretty impressed.

Unfortunately, they only cover Districts, Counties, Boroughs and Unitaries. Parish and Town Councils are covered by the National Association of Local Councils, a rather more cosy grouping. However, it is a group which does have a degree of clout, given that most parish and town councils are members, and that they cover virtually all of the country, with the exception of big cities (London is still completely unparished).

It operates through a network of county associations, and I'm keen to find out more about SALC (Suffolk Association of Local Councils). I have a password and access to the members area of the website, and have been reading about the training they provide. It's all very intriguing.

So I'm hoping to re-engage Creeting St Peter with the somewhat larger local government community in the coming months. After all, there's nothing to lose, and everything to gain. I'll probably learn a few things from people who've been Parish Councillors for rather longer than I have, and who knows, the national stage may beckon...

No comments: