Friday, May 08, 2009

I've got a leaflet from my councillors!

Astonishingly, after nearly two years, my local councillors have deigned to communicate with me, to express their disgust at the council's decision to go ahead with plans to reduce Kingsbury Road from four traffic lanes to two.

Now I know Kingsbury Road pretty well, and I know that drivers race along the stretch near the park because it's straight and flat. This doesn't seem to stop them from finding imaginative ways to lose control and crash but there you go, as they say. Best of all, when the traffic is heading towards the station, it runs into the main shopping area, where traffic is reduced to two lanes anyway, and gets backed up along the road.

However, there is some discontent. Local Conservatives and the three remaining Labour councillors (who do look rather grim, I must say), are in opposition. So why are my Liberal Democrat colleagues intent on doing something that the locals don't like? Could it be because the Road Safety Plan as amended in 2006 insists that the number of those killed or seriously wounded on London roads is cut by 50% by 2010? And who wrote that plan, without the requirement for a democratic mandate? Might it be a Labour Mayor of London? You know, I really think that it might have been.

Labour, tough on integrity, tough on the causes of integrity...

No comments: