Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A call to arms in the world's largest democracy

The front page of yesterday's 'Times of India' carries this message, as part of its Lead India '09 campaign;

I swear.
I swear that this time I will stand up
Not for what I believe in, but for what I don't.
This time I will vote. Not for, but against.
Against my own helplessness.
Against my own laziness.
Against two words called Chalta Hai*.
Against short cuts in queues.
Against cheating in exams.
Against Kharcha Paani** in offices.
Against powerless enquiry commissions.
And powerful vote banks.
Against religion in politics.
And politics in religion.
Against illegal constructions.
And legal loopholes.
Against every cynic. Every non-believer.
Against the belief that nothing will change.
Against the feeling that my
vote cannot make a difference.
Against every excuse for not voting.
And I will do this without fear or shame.
Because only by voting against all that
is destroying our today, will I give my
children something to vote for tomorrow.

I have to say that this expresses why voting matters better than anything else I've seen lately.

* a Hindi expression which reflects a careless attitude
** bribes

No comments: