Friday, February 20, 2009

A quick visit to our friends in the North

I write this entry from the comfort of a National Express East Coast service to Leeds. The free tea and light refreshments are very nice, and my first class seat is very comfortable. Curious, isn't it, that I generally have nice experiences on NXEC and Jonathan Wallace always has such awful ones. I still think that Jonathan should book his tickets under an alias... We're even on time...

Ros and I are on our way to Bradford as part of Ros's programme of visits to Regional Conferences, as promised in her manifesto. Unfortunately, we're not doing as many events as we might have wished, as it proved difficult to organise an itinerary in good time, but I'm sure we'll be back in due course.

I'm still asked if I enjoy these trips and, so far, I have to admit that I am. My past roles within the Party have allowed me to meet, and work with, people across the country, and it's always nice to run into them again, even if I have to reminded occasionally (I'm getting old, and the memory isn't what it was...).

This evening includes a visit to Bradford East, where there is an event to highlight homelessness issues. There will, I'm promised, be students and young people involved, so my Liberal Youth hat will be in evidence... If only I could have made the Brighouse quiz night... (I did see if it was possible, honest...)

4 comments:

MatGB said...

Yorkshire regional is tomorrow? Oops, could've sworn it was next weekend.

Um, I think I'm double booked again, maybe I can get out of something at our quiz.

It's a good pub if you finish your event early, can almost certainly get you a lift back into Bradford afterwards. Unfortunately Bradford East is the wrong side of town :-(

Jonathan Wallace said...

Mark - you should try travelling on National Excess every week to London!

Jonathan

Mark Valladares said...

Ah, but Jonathan, I do... Stowmarket to London Liverpool Street most weeks, courtesy of National Express East Anglia...

Jennie Rigg said...

It would have been lovely to see you two, but we know how busy you are.

Quiz went well, though, and we actually made a bit of money, which will go towards leafletting, probably.