Friday, February 13, 2009

Boris blows a fuse...

It would appear that Keith Vaz has managed to upset Boris Johnson to the point where, in a telephone conversation between the two men, the latter "launched an X-rated tirade" at the former.

Now I freely admit that Keith Vaz frequently irritates me, it's something about his style, I suppose, but he was quite legitimately seeking clarification after Boris's stellar performance in front of the Home Affairs Select Committee. This is only to be expected after Boris fluffed his lines as badly as he did, providing a series of variations on the facts.

Boris may not have been my choice for Mayor, but his eccentricities added to the gaiety of nations. Now, however, we discover that he is a foul-mouthed oik, perhaps ill-suited to the role as chief diplomat for London. I expected him to be harmless if ineffectual. I also expected a series of gaffes. I didn't expect him to interfere with police investigations and abuse Members of Parliament.

It's high time that the gloves came off, and that we really test Boris to see who he really is, methinks...

No comments: