Wednesday, August 13, 2008

On my way to the Kingdom of Fife - a complete coincidence, your Honour...

I'm actually on my way to St Andrews today, so this piece comes to you live from the 13:00 National Express East Coast service from King's Cross to Glasgow Central via Newcastle.

Now I know what you're thinking, especially if you're not a Liberal Democrat. "Typical bloody LibDem vulture, the man isn't even cold yet, and he's on his way to Glenrothes to set up for the bye-election!". If only I had those sort of psychic skills, I'd be much better off than I am, as my ticket was bought on 9 June. For the record, my condolences go out to the family of John MacDougall who, according to at least one of his political opponents, was a thoroughly decent man.

Actually, I'm joining Ros for the Scottish leg of the Presidential campaign tour, as she's speaking in North East Fife this evening. Luckily, National Express East Coast provide free wi-fi, so I can keep in touch with the outside world whilst speeding towards Northumbria...

The weather is thoroughly vile as we leave Darlington, a mere seven minutes late (we lost that south of Peterborough and show no signs of catching it up), but I'm quite looking forward to this part of the campaign, especially as there will be a bit of tourism thrown in plus a trip to my mother's home town of Keith.

And whilst I'm talking about trains, I'm beginning to suspect that someone at National Express has it in for Jonathan Wallace. Every week, he has a bit of a moan at them for cancelling his train and yet, every time I use them, things run pretty smoothly. If I was Jonathan, I'd be checking where the person responsible for operations actually lives, and who he or she votes for...

2 comments:

Jo Christie-Smith said...

I use them up to Leeds about once a week and I have to say theiy're decidely pathcy. Yesterday's trip went without much ado but I empathise with Jonathan.

Stephen Glenn said...

I hope you enjoy your tour of Scotland Mark. Apologies for the weather we ahve tried to call out a plumber to look into this awful leak but apparently they're all enjoying the last few days of the school holidays and won't be back til monday.