Monday, August 04, 2008

How culture feeds on itself...

I'm not sure where I picked this up, but it really appeals to my inner music lover...

Wiley is, apparently, a Grime MC and, if someone could explain this to me, I'd be really quite grateful (look, I'm 43 not 17...). The sample, and this is what really caught my attention, is from a 1991 'release' by DSK called "What Would We Do". Quite brilliant in a kind of seductive kind of way...

Now I'm not going to claim that the lyrics are in the Simon and Garfunkel or Lennon and McCartney range, but as a serious fan of Kraftwerk, I'd like to think that my German friends would appreciate the cleverness of this.

But see what I mean about the sample, and here is the 2008 remix...

1 comment:

Steph Ashley said...

Grime, as a musical subgenre, is related to drum 'n' bass and as such usually requires the assistance of some unhealthy substances to enjoy it properly, though with the right company in the right clapped-out hatchback it makes great driving music even without breaking the law by choosing what to put into your own body.

I'm sure you already know that MC stand for "microphone controller" - it's an accurate enough term for them as what they do can rarely be described as singing and often doesn't even equate to rapping... they tend particularly in grime to do more of a stream-of-consciousness sort of thing.

Wiley isn't really grimy, or he'd never have been picked up by the mainstream. I'll tell you what he is though - repugnantly misogynistic. Have another listen to those lyrics.

Hope that helps!

Yours,

Ms Down-with-tha-kidzzzzz ;)