Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Faith, love and understanding

Following yesterday's posting, I have been incredibly touched by the kindness of strangers in response. A close friend described it as like watching someone on a highwire without a safety net and I suppose that it was a bit exposed and uncomfortable.

In many ways, I've been incredibly fortunate in terms of family and friends, and I cannot stress too much how important they are in terms of regaining one's equilibrium. And I have now discovered that there are people out there who've had similar experiences and lived to tell the tale.

The comments of PragueTory are particularly touching, and provide evidence if ever it were needed that politics need not be solely tribal. I fully acknowledge that most Conservatives, like most Labour members (and indeed most Liberal Democrats), are thoroughly decent souls, who want a better society, care about people, and are responsive to their local communities. We differ in terms of method and outcome, but all care deeply for the societies around us.

So for all of you who have been hurt in the name of love, and for those of you who have been fortunate not to have been, might I wish you the best of luck in your relationships, and that you find (and keep) what you're looking for. Finding love is about taking risks, and having the courage to do so, and I am grateful that I've regained sufficient optimism to want to try again.

Once again, thank you to those who chose to comment, and who did so with such warmth...

No comments: