Friday, May 18, 2007

9 May - not so wildlife in the Victorian countryside

I like zoos - a lot. So, having already visited the Melbourne Zoo on a previous trip, I set off on the two hour trip to Healesville, deep in the Yarra Valley, to visit the Healesville Sanctuary, apparently the best place to see native species in Victoria.

It was a pleasant train ride to Lilydale, at the end of one of Melbourne’s commuter lines, where I connected with a bus. The bus set off through gentle rolling countryside filled with vineyards and cattle, until we reached the quite picturesque town of Healesville. It is hard to believe that a Melbourne day ticket covers quite this far but indeed it does, and I soon reached the Sanctuary.

And indeed, the wildlife is every bit as good as indicated. The platypus exhibit is an excellent one, and the two female platypi (is that the correct plural?) swam around and could be clearly seen whilst one of their keepers gave us a talk about how they live and what can be done to encourage them to colonise new areas in the wild.

The koalas were remarkably active, to the point where one decided that he was bored with us (we clearly weren’t active enough for his taste), climbed down his tree and jogged off across the ground. As for the emus, well I didn’t notice the first one until I was within easy touching distance - pecking distance for her, although she very kindly left me alone…

I also got some good shots of their echidnas, the only known member of the monotreme family, apart from the platypus. Monotremes are egg-laying mammals, which does goes to show that the generalisations they give you don’t tend to hold up to close examination.


All too soon, it was time to head back to Melbourne and a reception for Priority Club members at my hotel. The Holiday Inn on Flinders throws these once a week, and they lavish free drinks and hors d’oeuvres on us - very nice indeed. And then to my room to pack… unfortunately…

No comments: