Friday, October 27, 2006

An anniversary that shouldn't go unnoticed...

I am reminded that today is the thirty-ninth anniversary of the passing of the landmark 1967 Abortion Act, one of those pieces of legislation that changed the lives of so many and yet remains a subject of so much controversy.

As a Catholic myself (observed more in the breach than in reality), I have always had mixed feelings about abortion. I fret about the impact on the unborn child, and on the woman having to make a sometimes difficult decision. As a liberal, I firmly adhere to the view that a woman can only be truly free if she has control over her own body. Thus, being a liberal Catholic comes with its own inherent contradictions, and any stance ultimately taken with a side order of guilt.

I don't have children, never really wanted them, and, at nearly forty-two years of age, am unlikely ever to produce any. Yet I have huge respect for anyone who wants to raise them, and even more for those who have to make difficult decisions about whether or not to proceed with a pregnancy.

And so I have, over the years, come down in favour of the woman's right to choose. I accept that there are those whose sympathies lie with the unborn child, but I feel that, in doing so, they fail to understand the impact on someone who is already capable of independent life, who is being asked to give up their freedom for the principles of others and who has almost certainly not reached their decision without a little soul-searching along the way.

Bringing an unwanted child into the world is, to my way of thinking, far more of a sin than abortion is. On the other hand, I agree that we should be trying to reduce the number of abortions that are carried out in this country. What does this mean? It means meaningful sex education, it means easy access to effective contraception for everyone and it means proper debate on the pressures that cause young people to engage in risky sex before they are capable of appreciating the emotional aspects of loving, respectful relationships.

And for those out there campaigning to defend a woman's right to choose? Good luck and God bless to you all...

No comments: