Sunday, February 26, 2006

The minister, her husband and some loose change

It just gets better and better here in South London... although (I forget), she does live in North London, doesn't she...

My thanks go to the Sunday Times for the latest on the David Mills bribery investigation. You can just imagine the conversation over the breakfast table chez Jowell...

"Tessa, honey, can you pass the butter?"

"Of course, David, is there anything else I can get you?"

"Well, actually, I've got something that requires your signature here. Would you be a love and deal with it now?"

"I do have Cabinet this morning, will it take long?"

"No, just a signature should take care of it..."

Tessa walks around the table, picks up a fountain pen and starts to sign the proffered form.

"What's this for anyway?"

"I need to borrow £350,000 and I'm putting up our home as security."

"But David, what do we need that much money for?"

"Tessa, don't worry your pretty little head about it, I'll explain everything when you've got more time..."

Unlikely, isn't it? So, if Peter Mandelson has set the benchmark for dodgy mortgages, what will the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport do? Perhaps resign to spend more time with her constituents? Oh, I forget, she doesn't live anywhere near here, does she...

No comments: